Dr. Santanu Mitra is currently holding an Associate Professor position in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and he served as Department Head for six years from 2015 to 2020. He is one of the researchers responsible for the development of strategic energy harvesting techniques and bio-inspired design areas in the country. Dr. Mitra has obtained his Ph.D. from Aerospace Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur and has been actively engaged in teaching and research in bioinspiration & biomimetic, and computational fluid dynamics since 2000. In the recent past, he was associated with the Mechanical Engineering Department at Virginia Tech (2011 - 2013) and National University of Singapore (2008 to 2011). He has many years of research experience in bioinspired FSI analysis, fluid oscillation inside flexible boundaries of the various geometrical cavity, flow-induced vibration, acoustic compressible flow, and developing fast stable numerical solvers. Dr. Mitra has been associated with reputed publications in top-tier journals. His current research interests include bioinspiration and biomimetic robotics, computational methods, and sustainable energy engineering & technology.
- PostDoc., Virginia Tech, USA
- Ph.D., Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India
- M.Tech., Regional Engineering College Durgapur, India
- B.E., Government Engineering College Jalpaiguri, India
- 01/15/2015 – 202012/20 Head of Department, Mechanical Engineering Department, Shiv Nadar University (6 Years)
- 04/13 – Present Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Shiv Nadar University
- 01/12 – 12/12 Teaching Fellow, BMDL, Mechanical Engineering Department, Virginia Tech, USA
- 11/11 – 04/13 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Mechanical Engineering Department, Virginia Tech, USA
- 01/08 – 08/11 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Mechanical Engineering Department, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- 01/07 – 01/08 Senior Project Officer, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Aerospace Engineering Department
- 01/02 – 01/07 Junior Project Officer, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Aerospace Engineering Department
- 12/99 – 08/00 Visiting Faculty, RCC Jadavpur University Campus, Calcutta
- 08/96 – 08/97 Engineer, Setech (India), Calcutta
Teaching & Research Interests
- Biomimetic Robotics,
- Autonomous Underwater/Aerial Vehicle,
- Computational Fluid Dynamics,
- Sustainable Energy Engineering.
- Thermo-fluids and energy systems
- Bioinspiration and Biomimetic Robotics
Awards and Recognition (Selected)
- Invited for expert talk at several conferences/institutes of international repute.
- Qualified in Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) India
- Senior Life Member of Aeronautical Society of India.
- Post Graduate Scholar 2005, CL, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India.
- Invited for the Board Membership of “Open Numerical Methods International Journal”.
- Won several School Day prizes for standing amongst the top three ranks of the class in scholastic achievements.