Debdas Ray has received his PhD degree in 2008 from the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India. His doctoral research was conducted under the supervision of Professor Parimal K. Bharadwaj, and focused on designing various supramolecular receptors for sensing and nonlinear optical studies. He then carried out first postdoctoral research in Professor Dario M. Bassani’s Group at University of Bordeaux1 (2009-2011), where he focused on the synthesis of fullerene (C60) and anthracene monolayers on silicon surfaces as well as various fullerene derivatives having hydrogen-bonding recognition unit for organic electronics. He did his second postdoctoral research with Professor Ivan Aprahamian (2011-2012) at Dartmouth College, USA, where he focused on hydrazine-based rotary switches for coordination-coupled proton relay mimicking proton translocation in biological systems. His third postdoctoral research was carried out in Professor Takashi Nakanishi’s group (2012-2013) at National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Japan, where he focused on neutral solvent-free liquid organometallic complexes of platinum(II) and iridium(III) for optoelectronic applications. He joined the Department of Chemistry at Shiv Nadar University as an Assistant Professor in July 2013
- 2008 PhD Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- 2002 MSc Calcultta University
- 2002 BSc Thakur Pukur Vivekananda College, Calcutta University
- 2009 – 2011 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Bordeaux 1, France
- 2011 – 2012 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hamshire, USA
- 2012 – 2013 Postdoctoral research Fellow, National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Japan
Teaching & Research Interests
- Physical Methods in Chemistry
- Coordination and Bio-inorganic Chemistry
- Supramolecular Chemistry
- Principles of Fluorescence and applications
- Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- 2021 – 2023 Research grant of ~40 Lakhs (INR) from SERB-DST, India Govt.
- 2015 – 2018 Research grant of ~26 Lakhs (INR) from SERB-DST, India Govt.
- 2016 – 2020 Research grant of ~ 50 Lakha (INR) (Four year) from SERB-DST, India Govt.
- 2018 – 2020 Research grant of ~ 25 Lakhs (INR) from BRNS-DAE, India
- 2017 Reviewer of International journals published by ACS, Elsevier, RSC etc.
- 2016 Reviewer of Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Govt. of India
- 2016 Featured in “Faculty in Spotlight” of Shiv Nadar University
- 2012 – 2013 Postdoctoral fellowship at the National Institute of Materials Science, Japan
- 2011 – 2012 Postdoctoral fellowship at the Dartmouth College, New Hamshire, USA
- 2009 – 2011 Postdoctoral fellowship at the Bordeaux University, France
- 2005 – 2008 Senior Research Fellowship, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India
- 2002 – 2005 Junior Research Fellowship, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India